Foundry full-service provider
MAN Energy Solutions's foundry is one of the oldest workshops in the plant in Augsburg, Germany. It has been in operation since 1844 and offers experience and professional knowledge in the production of high-quality castings.
We are one of the last system providers in the foundry business – specialized among other in casting of very large components with a weight up to 100 tons such as crankcases or cylinderheads. Many years of experience in casting technology, model construction and heat treatment are our foundation to advise you in the design of the components and the material selection. We are specialized in the production of castings for: engines, gearboxes, printing machines, compressors and turbines, machine tools, wind turbines, machinery and plant engineering.
Castings up to 100 t
We offer castings up to 100 tons and sizes up to dimensions of 14,500 x 4,500 x 3,500 mm with a piece weight of up to 100 t.
For the castings we offer the following materials:
- EN 1561: Cast iron with lamellar graphite GJL
- EN 1563: Cast iron with graphite GJS
- EN 16124: Low-alloy ferritic cast iron with spheroidal graphite for applications at higher temperatures
Smaller castings that fit in molding boxes with dimensions up to 1,900 x 1,770 mm are manufactured on a mechanized molding system. The weight range for this production option starts approx. 500 kg and ends at approx. 2,500 kg, depending on the dimensions of the blank.
We use different processes in the molding shop:
For small sizes we have a semi-automated moulding line and one sand mixer. The box sizes is up to 1600 mm x 1600 mm with a capacity of 80 boxes a day up to 2,5 to piece.
For middle size products up to 40 tons we have several manual moulding stations, a casting weight up to 40 tons and 4 sand mixer with 7 moulding pits. The component size is up to 8 m length and 40 tons.
Big parts are produced in a hand moulding area with 2 sand mixer and 13 moulding pits with a casting weight up to 100 tons. The component size is up to 14 m x 4,5 m x 3 m length and 100 tons.
Complete foundry process inhouse
As a full-service provider we can offer the complete foundry process in house.
Patternmaking is the first and most essential part of the casting process.
Our services include:
- CNC milling machines with five axes
- All quality classes in accordance with EN 12890
- Measuring machines with GOM and optical scanning
High-quality cores are essential to the iron casting process -from blasting to the conventional cold resin process.
- In the foundry we produce 75,000 cores per year – core weight of about 100g up to 10 tons
- Water and alcohol based coatings are used
- Five core blasting machines up to 300 liter volume - 10/15 liter; 20/40liter; 30/50 liter; 300 liter
- Used for the production of complex core structures or series cores
We provide in our moulding shop a hand and semi-automated moulding line from 100 kg up to 100 tons. With a component size up to 14 m length and 100 tons.
Our melting shop in Augsburg has a capacity of 40,000 tons.
We can offer the following services
- 14MW connected load
- Cast iron materials GJL, GJS, GJS-SiMo
- 2x 6to medium (MF) and 2x 23to frequency (NF) induction furnances
- Emission spectrometer, thermal analysis, carbon combustion methode
- Fully-automated fettling station
- Three shot blasting machines
- Annealing furnace up to 900 °C
Our foundry is known for high quality castings. We set high quality standards. These requirement are permanently checked and verified by our certified quality management system.
Facts & figures at a glance
We are authorized by all ship classification companies, the TÜV and the German Federal Railways (Deutsche Bundesbahn) for the delivery of parts subject to acceptance. Our foundry is known for high quality castings. We set high quality standards. These requirement are permanently checked and verified by our certified quality management system.
|Melting furnaces||4 crucible inductions furnaces|
|Material||EN-GJL gray iron; EN-GJS ductile cast iron|
|Melting temperature||max. 1570°C|
|Power requirement||up to 14 MW|
|Casting ladles||30 casting ladles ranging between 3 - 40 tons|
|Classifications||IACS, ABS, BV, DNV, GL, LR, RINA, CCS, RS, KR, CR, PRS, CRS, ClassNK, IRS, TL|
Your reliant partner for complex castings up to 100 tons
- We have a long history with large experience and casting know-how.
- State-of-the-art casting technology
- High quality standards and proven long-term customer satisfaction.
- We are a full system provider with additional services.