MAN Cryo Lands World-First
MAN Cryo, part of MAN Energy Solutions and a leading expert in the field of storage and handling of LNG and natural gas, has announced the signing of a contract with Yantai CIMC Raffles Shipyard for the delivery of the fuel-gas supply systems (FGSSs) to a new series of two dual-fuel, 6,500 pure car carriers for Wallenius Marine on charter to Volkswagen.
Henrik Malm, Managing Director at MAN Energy Solutions, Sweden and Finland, said “This represents yet another world-first for MAN Cryo where the boil-off gas will be sent to the low methane-slip ME-GI via a high-pressure, boil-off-gas compressor. Due to the installed shaft generator, this further reduces the running hours on the auxiliary engines.”
The scope of delivery includes the following:
- port- and starboard-side bunkering stations
- LNG storage tank with a volume of 2,300 m3
- tank connection space with low-pressure vaporizer, BOG heater and two LNG pumps
- high-pressure gas-handling equipment for delivery of gas to MAN B&W ME-GI two-stroke main engine
- boil-off gas (BOG) management system, including one high-pressure compressor
- ·on-board nitrogen-generation system
- control system as well as gas-detection system.
The FGSSs for the vessels will be delivered during 2023.
About MAN Cryo
MAN Cryo offers systems for the storage, distribution and handling of liquefied gases and has a pioneering reputation within the marine sector and LNG business development. It supplied the world’s first LNG fuel-gas system for the ‘Glutra’ ferry in Norway in 1999, a vessel that is still operational to this day. More recently, in 2013, MAN Cryo supplied the world’s first bunker vessel, the ‘SeaGas’, with operations in Stockholm, Sweden.