Obtain negligible methane slip emissions with the MAN B&W ME-GI engine
The MAN B&W ME-GI two-stroke dual-fuel engine is one of the industry’s most trusted platforms for delivering great operational efficiency and negligible methane slip emissions for large merchant marine vessels.
Based on more than a decade of experience, the engine has been refined to offer a simplified design, exceptionally low methane slip emissions, as well as upgrades for key components. This will in turn improve reliability, while providing a large degree of flexibility for meeting emissions regulations.
The world’s most efficient LNG engine
Perfect for new builds or retrofits, the MAN B&W ME-GI minimizes operating costs by delivering the same industry-leading thermal efficiency no matter which fuel you are using. This is a huge advantage, especially for container vessels in a market where fuel prices are fluctuating. The ME-GI can also be fueled with bio-methane as well as synthetic natural gas, which provide a clear route towards greenhouse gas reductions.
Statements and latest news
Some words about the high reliability of the ME-GI engine
Some words from our dual-fuel customers:
Cylinder condition and ist relevance for reliability
Some words from our dual-fuel customers:
Experiences from our first ME-GI customer Teekay
Friday, June 24, 2022
Matson Signs Contract for ME-GI RetrofitDeal includes option for second vessel
Wednesday, April 20, 2022
Highly Efficient ME-GI Engines at Heart of Hybrid-Propulsion CLdN RoRo NewbuildingsMAN Energy Solutions has won the order for 4 × dual-fuel MAN B&W 6S60ME-GI engines in connection with the construction of two hybrid, 8,000 lane-metre, RoRo vessels for CLdN, the Luxembourg-based shipping group. Both 234-metre vessels are scheduled for delivery in the first half of 2025.
Wednesday, March 9, 2022
ME-GI Engines to Power Liquid-CO2 Carriers in Groundbreaking Carbon-Transport-and-Storage ProjectME-GI engines help reduce vessels’ own emissions to minimum; have potential to set new standard for LNG-fuelled ships carrying liquid CO2
Tuesday, November 23, 2021
ME-GI Engines Bound for Thriving Chinese MarketFirst 80-bore ME-GI engines in China to power series of 10 × Seaspan container vessels, which will be largest ME-GI-powered container vessels ever built by a Chinese shipyard
Update yourself on the upgraded MAN B&W ME-GI engine
During a webinar session held in June 2020, you could get the latest design and service updates of the engine, as well as the novelties of the Mk.2 platform being presented by some of our MAN B&W engine experts.
Market Update Notes
- Proven two-stroke MAN B&W engine technology
- Minimal environmental impact (Low GHG emissions by negligible methane slip and reduced CO2 emissions)
- No need to compensate with liquid oil fuels in order to accommodate low methane number or high ambient temperatures
- Flexible operation using fuel oil or LNG
- Knocking is not an issue
- Any fuel-oil/gas ratio can be burned
- Supports WHR
- Easy retrofit compared to Otto cycle engines
The ME-GI is built for low OPEX, delivering the same industry-leading thermal efficiency no matter which fuel you are using. This is a huge advantage in a market where fuel prices are fluctuating and LNG bunkering will become the norm. The auxiliary equipment costs have been reduced and the engine’s installation is simplified. Furthermore, key components have been updated to improve performance and deliver a more environmentally friendly solution.
The MAN B&W ME-GI Mk. 2 incorporates a range of key component upgrades that improve reliability, maximize efficiency and lower OPEX, helping you to stay competitive in a challenging market.
- Lowest gas consumption of any marine two-stroke engine
- Simplified piping system provides a more compact solution with fewer components, and therefore lower maintenance costs
- New gas block with an improved window valve enables cut-out of an individual cylinder operating on gas, while allowing continued operation on fuel oil
- Updated pilot oil injection system enables the pilot oil energy fraction be lowered to just 1.5%
- Optional compact pump vaporizer unit features embedded redundancy (3 x 50%) and integration with the ME-GI engine control system